I've been invited to take part in a LYRASIS "Polite Debate Society" discussion online next Wednesday, June 13. This is (I think) the first such event they've put on, so I'm not quite sure what this will be like! Here's the topic and agenda:
At the Desk: A discussion of debatable issues related to best practices for reference services in libraries.
June 13, 2012
1:00-2:30 PM Eastern Time
The topics for our debate will include, but are not limited to:
- Reference policies
- 24/7 Reference/Hours
- Best practices for handling virtual reference questions
- Getting out from behind the desk
- Ethics and privacy at the reference desk
- The role of student workers/volunteers in reference
- What’s in a name? Naming modern services in libraries
Jason Puckett, Georgia State University Libraries
Kimberly Kruthhaup, Georgia Institute of Technology
Russell Palmer, LYRASIS
I'm trying to be prepared by, you know, having some opinions. It should be fun.
Registration is free if you want to listen in. If there's an archived version, I'll update this post with a link.